Sunday, March 8, 2009

Turning Point

This weekend has been a perfect weekend with my family. The weather was beautiful where we could enjoy spending time outside. Taking advantage of the 70s, we decided to grill out steaks, shrimp, and baked potatoes. Needless to say, my gourmet chef spoils us and is always taking on a new challenge. His new challenge was shrimp and it turned out delicious.

This weekend was also an engagement celebration for my best friend of 12 yrs. I was so excited to have the opportunity to spend time with my friends from high school. Little did I know, that it was going to be an eye opening experience. Out of the four of us, I am the only one that has a child. I went out to Longhorn steakhouse and enjoyed an appetizer since Greg was grilling out at home. The entire time I was with them, I felt completely disconnected. I know being a mommy changes EVERYTHING in your life, but I really hadn't seen the effects with my friends until now. They are talking about spending $150 on haircuts, going out on weekdays, and any drama between friendships. The whole time I'm thinking, I spend my time by singing ABCs, playing with toys, and simply relaxing at home with my family. After the short time with my friends, I realized that I need friends that have kids that I can relate to.

This weekend was also a turning point for Greg. After many attempts to finance school, he realized that being a pilot really isn't where his heart is. I discovered on Thursday that he has always wanted to be a firefighter even though the pay is a lot lower than a pilot. He finally admitted that he is happy how we're living now and he wouldn't mind trying out for the fire department here. Looking into it further, I found out that right now, the fire department is beginning their hiring process. So the next step is to fill out the application and go to the orientation meetings in April and then take the written/physical exams in June. So we'll see where out next adventure takes us!

No comments: